Tuesday 24 August 2010

Reaching the end of the project

A week today will be my final day working at Stirling University on the Lindsay Anderson Archive and the 'Cinema Authorship of Lindsay Anderson' AHRC project.  I'm excited about the new challenges the future will bring- including the immediate challenge of finding a new job!  However after three years working with the archive I'll be incredibly sad to leave Lindsay (as I now think of him) behind.  I feel like I've really come to know him over the past 3 years - though I know that this is in no way comparable to those who actually knew him during his lifetime.  I also feel rather possessive of the archive - is this a common feeling amongst archivists when you work so long with one collection? I imagine so - but I know that it is in good hands at Stirling University, particularly now it will be housed in the lovely new Archive store (more pictures of the new archive to follow tomorrow as I forgot my camera today).  London is calling though and I am super excited about the move to London with my husband to start a new stage in our life in a city which we both already love.  For today though I better stop gabbing and get back to David Vaughan (yes, I'm on 'V' of the named correspondence files - not long to go now!).  I did try and scan a rather lovely piece of sheet music which David Vaughan sent to Lindsay Anderson for the 1929 film 'The Broadway Melody' but my highly temperamental scanner seems to have finally given up the ghost. 

So instead here is a photo of my co-workers from the Lindsay Anderson project on a team away day we recently enjoyed.  The photo is taken near the Standing Stones on Machrie Moor on the Isle of Arran.  We had a lovely day, we walked for three hours in total, saw lots of beautiful countryside, enjoyed each others company - and a well deserved pint at the end of the walk! 

5 comments:

  1. I don't even like customers TOUCHING collections that I've carefully catalogued, but I think that is taking things a little too far.

    It must feel very satisfying to have finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, although the satisfaction is currently outweighed by the amount of tasks still to complete in the ever shortening time scale - heralded by the hourly chirps from our RSPB clock - the owl at 12 o'clock is particularly spooky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I always feel a bit mothering towards collections that I have worked on and also sad to be leaving them to fend by themselves. I know what you mean when you think you know someone I had the same with Leonard, with any luck this September I might be allowed a chance to go back and look.

    It looks a fantastic project you should be thoroughly pleased plus thanks for all the posts updating us on what is happening :)

    AG

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has been a great project to work on - three years is a good amount of time as you can really get to know the collection. I'm glad you've been enjoying the posts! Hopefully I'll have another interesting new job soon to start blogging about - fingers crossed!

    P.S. Who was Leonard?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leonard Rosoman was the artist I was working for in the early part of this year. You can find a short bio of him at the Royal Academy website http://www.royalacademy.org.uk/academicians/painters/leonard-rosoman-ra,156,AR.html

    AG

    ReplyDelete